Hi

pinakin
1 Posts
brighton
Hi i'm an xcart store developer and have used altered carts modules a lot in xcart previously. Just wanted to say hi and look into Gahela as a shopping cart.

I really want to know what the template design process is like and how the code framework is built?
1 | 0
WNC2
7 Posts
Italy
welcome pinakin,

happy to see forum is populating.

i think themes shortage is the last "bug" of gahela, which is an outstanding cart for the rest.

hope to see some developer soon
0 | 0
Bill
15 Posts
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello!

Welcome to the forums.

The theme design process in Gahela is somewhat ambitions.  A lot of the old fashioned "templating" is moving to a dynamic database driven system where you create panels and place them in a theme or a page.  I liken it to the move from static pages, to dynamic pages.  For example, if you want to add to a list of featured products to your home page you just open the home page in the page builder and add the featured products panel.  The home page is built dynamically, not from a template.  You can also create multiple different product page layouts, show different pages for different users, really anything you can think of.

Now, this being said, anything you could do in X-Cart as far as creating templates, creating a theme folder to overwrite templates, CSS, JavaScript, etc, can be done in Gahela.  I respect there are those who want to code everything in a file, and the system fully supports this.

However, one thing I've learned is most sites don't want to develop a theme, so much as they want to select a theme close to the look they want, and then tweak this to their needs.  There are three new themes that will be released next week which really simplify the process of getting a site up quickly.  If you have any particular theme features, or designs you particularly like please make a suggestion.

As far as the framework.  It is build on a MVC OOP framework, but not like PHP Symphony, or X-Cart 5 that has a huge learning curve.  It is designed so that in most cases you can simply write procedural code that is then integrated into the framework, rather than having to learn a bunch of design patterns.  If you download the free version you have full access to the code and can play around with it.  If you have any questions please post them.
Bill Brewer Gahela
1 | 0
phoenix
1 Posts
a couple of top line skins and this thing would be perfection.
1 | 0
WNC2
7 Posts
Italy
"a couple of top line skins and this thing would be perfection."

+1
0 | 0

You need to register or login before you can comment.